A condition dubbed “fried rice syndrome” has caused some panic online in recent days after the case of a 20-year-old who died in 2008 resurfaced on TikTok.
“Fried rice syndrome” refers to food poisoning from a bacterium called Bacillus cereus (B.cereus), which becomes a risk when cooked food is left at room temperature for too long.
The 20-year-old college student died after reportedly eating spaghetti that he cooked, left out of the fridge, and then reheated and ate five days later.
Although death is rare, B. cereus can cause gastrointestinal illness if food isn’t stored properly. Here’s what to know and how to protect yourself.

Posted in

Iron Will

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.